Thursday, December 18, 2008

So many different kinds of snow

The snow falls here almost every day. I am amazed by its variety. Some days it falls in great, big, fluffy flakes that float forever before they finally reach the ground. Other days the snow is angry and fast; small projectiles whipped around by the wind create patterns against the night sky. Some days I can't see that the snow is falling, but I can feel the icy precipitation on my exposed skin and hear it as it hits the ground and the hood of my jacket. Sometimes it's just purposeful; intent on covering the ground, it falls in large flakes fast and hard and straight down.

My favorite is when it glitters. I was walking home a few days ago and everything was glittering. The snow on the ground and the houses and the strange little trees they have suspended from the light posts. What was impressive, though, was that the air was glittering. In the background, the sun was setting turning the mountain rose-colored, but everywhere around me the air sparkled like it was full of diamond dust!

No comments: