Friday, April 3, 2009

Weather update

After my last post we had roughly a week of early spring weather. Then the snow came again. Ten inches in two days. It covered the ugly brown snow that had started to pile up on the sides of the road and on the paths. It also covered the ice, which made it difficult to walk.

The new snow lasted for about three days before the melting resumed. This time it seems serious. People have stopped talking about 'spring' and have moved on to 'summer'. The sun is warm, but we still have two feet of hard packed snow standing pretty much everywhere and the temperatures never get above 40F. Last year there was a snow storm on the 17th of May.

I'm in Oslo now, looking out the window of my friends' apartment. All I see is a thick wall of fog; at first I wasn't sure if it was the building next to us it is so solid and white. I took the bus here yesterday and all the way from Telemark, the snow is showing signs of retreating. It will be Spring when I return!

No comments: