Saturday, July 24, 2010

Kaffibaren Rauland

After returning from Seattle in early May, I received the sad news that the coffee shop in town was once again looking for a new owner. The last time the coffee shop changed hands (in September), I was amongst those interested in taking it over, but that interest never got off the drawing board. I figured that I had way too much to do to run a coffee shop and take classes; we did a lot of traveling and had a heavy course load which would have made it impossible to juggle the coffee shop and school.

After serious consideration and discussion with David, I made my offer to take over the coffee shop starting in the fall. The response was positive, verging on overjoyed. A few days later, they asked if I couldn't get out of my summer job, and take over as soon as school was out. I said I would try.

It didn't take much for me to convince my summer employer to give the job to someone else. They weren't really excited to be losing me, but fortunately had a couple of other responsible, hard-working young people who were interested in summer jobs. Then I just had to worry about what I would do with this vacation I am currently taking.

Let me back up a little. Rauland Kunstforening, the art gallery I worked at last summer, is the home to this coffee shop. When the initial owner decided to get out of the business, the art gallery purchased all of the equipment, from the espresso machine to the tea spoons. So, I get to run the coffee shop using their equipment.

Up until school was out I had no extra energy or brainpower to devote to the coffee shop. This turns out to have been a good thing, because now all I do is think about the coffee shop. Starting to think about it before finals would have definitely detracted from my grades!

No comments: