Monday, January 5, 2009

Winter Break Part I

The first week of vacation I spent in Rauland. We had exams on December 11 and then people started leaving. Several left before the end-of-the-semester party, but most stuck around for the julebord turned party that lasted all night long.

By the end of the week, I was the only one left in the student housing. Fortunately, my coworkers from the hotel were still in town, so I had someone to talk with once in a while. On Friday (the 19th) I made dinner with most of the food I had that wouldn't make it through vacation and spent the evening socializing with my coworkers away from the hotel.

We realized that Saturday would be our only opportunity all year to go to the local pub. It's only open in the ski season and we work pretty much straight through the season. It was a reasonably unanimous decision to check out Krossen Pub the following night.


Our evening at Krossen Pub was relatively low key. Going out in Norway is expensive and Rauland is no exception. We were pretty much the only non-locals in the place and we did a good job of sticking out like four sore thumbs. We had a good time anyway.

In the morning I hurriedly packed my instruments and bags, cleaned the kitchen, chased down to the bus stop. I was on my way to Ottestad via Oslo!

No comments: