Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Fast Forward

It appears that since I found myself employment, I have also managed to be too busy to write much. I'm going to aim to mention all of the highlights, but there have been a lot of them!

On Wednesday the 17th we had a concert here in Rauland. It was a very classical representation of folk music. Most notable from that evening were the Israeli backpackers and the after-party which sparked my interest in the banjo. Yes, I said banjo.

The weather in Rauland (yes this is a highlight) was phenomenal that weekend. We had temperatures up to 30C in the sun. We had good weather all the way until the following Wednesday and that was pretty much the most exciting thing that happened here all week.

On Wednesday the 24th the school hosted a conference titled 'ancient techniques - new asthetics'. My class spent the day before with Tapani Varis, the Finnish munnharpa (amongst other instruments) player. His teaching and the lectures on Wednesday were thought provoking and interesting.

That evening we were treated to a concert of former masters students. Brit Pernille Frøholm presented contemporary hardingfele music. Øystein Sandbukt dazzled the crowd with tunes based in Nordmøre tradition laced with jazz tinged improvisation. Annette Thorsheim stole the show (in my opinion) with music from hardingfele tradition (springar and rull) played on torader. That was a concert!


On the way to the lake:
Totak!
More Totak:

No comments: