Monday, September 15, 2008

Geitebondelag

I now have two jobs. The first, as I may have mentioned, is cleaning at the dentist's office. It is awesome. I walk across the street, take out the trash, clean the sinks and toilets, vacuum, mop, make sure things look clean, and I'm done. The second job is a little more intense.

Somehow I thought that 6.5 hours of work a week might not be enough, so maybe one more day a week wouldn't hurt. Anja had mentioned me to the head waiter at the Rauland Høgfjellshotell and that's about all it takes to get a job there. I hadn't exactly expected to be working as a waitress this year, but then again, I was hoping to not work at all!

The first few two days (last Thursday and Friday), went reasonably smoothly. Roughly five hours each of serving drinks and clearing plates and washing dishes. Saturday night, however, was a different story.

Let me start by saying we are massively understaffed. I'll continue with at dinner on Saturday night we had roughly 130 members of the Goat Farmers' Association (Geitebondelaget) in addition to an automobile club and other hotel guests. We served all of them a four course meal, and beverages. There were nine of us working in the entire restaurant. We managed to get everything cleaned and ready for breakfast by 1:45am. All of those salmon dinners and lodge bazaars paid off finally!

Since yesterday was Sunday, we had dancing in Rauland. Yay! A few more locals came. Perhaps in a few weeks we'll get to critical mass to have some real open dancing! This evening I taught a dance class with one of my classmates, Anna G. She's an exceptional dancer. We taught several of the other students Rørospols and then Anna shared a half hour of halling tricks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hei, Ole Glomstalen, kansje? Mor