Saturday, July 19, 2008

Telemarkfestivalen I

You would think that after two full days without a bed, I would have taken a nap, but no, there were still things to do. I managed to check my email in the quest to rid myself of one of those suitcases before I leave Telemark. I also purchased my festival pass, exchanged more money (at the bank) did some grocery shopping (gotta love bread and cheese). My dear sister will be happy to know that I bought a bag of carrots :). After all of that, I had just enough time left to eat before the opening concert.

The main performer (after the obligatory exhibition of the Bø spel og danserlag) was Faiz ali Faiz and his eight man orchestra from Pakistan. Check him out. Friday night's concert was Diom de Kossa with guest artists. I have never heard the cow horn played like that. I'll post a couple short videos here once I get my camera working.

I started Friday at the singing course with Camilla Granlien, who won 1st place at this years kappleik. Definitely worth the money. Then I heard a concert by singer Unni Boksasp, accompanied by Olav Mjelva and Ånon Egeland, among others. She is awesome. It was really fun to see Olav. I couldn't tell if he was suprised to see me or not. After the concert by Diom de Kossa, I headed 'downtown' and heard Catriona Macdonald from Shetland (excellent) and Halvorsen and Bruvoll. If you're looking for some excellent folksinging fused with a full band, their CD Trillar for to is the one to get. I haven't got my hands on it yet, but I have my eyes out.

One more day of festivaling and then I'm back to Sweden to meet up with Tom and Elaine in Hälsingland. Below are a couple more tips, or rather things I wish I had with me.

Travel tip: Cheese slicer - I brought mine. If you don't have one they sell them at the grocery stores. Small cutting board - I have noticed that it is very difficult to cut tomatoes using a grocery bag as a cutting board. Plastic ware and sharp knife - IKEA has some very sturdy reusable plastic utensils you can take on the plane. You also need some kind of pocket knife to cut said tomatoes. I also find myself imagining that a collapsible plastic bowl would be really handy, although I have no idea where I might find one...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Travel tip: Carrots.

Ingrid said...

I wish my carrots hadn't gone bad :( I'll be more choosy the next time I buy them...

Anonymous said...

Re: Collapsible bowls. Good idea! I've noticed at the pet store that there are collapsible water bowls for dogs who travel. Don't know why you couldn't use them for people as well! REI might have such a thing. Next time I'm over there.... I bought a hard plastic gadget in a Swedish design shop last year that is a fork on one end, a spoon on the other that has one serrated edge that serves as a knife - I keep it in my luggage.
Roberta