Sunday, July 20, 2008

Telemarkfestivalen II

After reading my last post, I realized that I severely under-praised Unni Boksasp. Not only is she absolutely adorable, her voice is phenomenal and she sings those sad songs we all love to hear more of.

Saturday rounded out with a couple more concerts for me. The captivating reunion concert of Slinkombas in all their glory. If you don't have their vinyl from 30 years ago, now you can get them on CD! Finally, some folk music! I was especially pleased to hear yet another regional variation of Kråkevise (the crow song). Their encore (in Norway, everyone gets an encore, or so it seems) was a sing-a-long which everyone was clearly enjoying, especially the band.

Then I hiked up the hill in the rain to the old church (you know the one right next to the new church) for the church concert. At least half of the music was modern compositions by Henrik Ødegaard - interesting to say the least and the vocalists were extremely talented. No recordings of the actual concert will be posted because I filled up the rest of my memory card with the bell ringing at the beginning. Oops. :)

The highlight of the church concert for me was Vegar Vårdal. I really don't think there are enough superlatives in English and Norwegian combined for me to describe how much I like the guy. He is both extremely knowledgeable and talented. Add to that, he's a nice guy and wow! He played a springar early in the program. What you need to understand is that he doesn't just play, he dances and pirouettes and emotes the soul of a tune when he is in the spotlight. If you get the chance to listen to Vegar, make sure you have a good seat! If you get the chance to talk to him, brush up your Norwegian, I think he'd like that.

Oh, did I mention the pews at the church? They explain why Catholics were perfectly willing to stand up so often during mass. I would estimate them at about 10 inches deep, with no back except for a long plank to keep you from slouching just below shoulder level. I have a picture, but it doesn't do them justice.

I got a ride back to Gullbring from a girl who was in the singing course. It wasn't so dark (at 10:30) that I couldn't have walked back safely, but what had earlier been rain was now a downpour. I packed my things hoping that the rain would stop, so I could venture out for a couple more shows. I really wanted to see Valkyrien Allstars, but I really didn't want to get soaked, so I gave in at midnight ready for the next adventure.

No comments: