Sunday, August 3, 2008

Awards Ceremony

I don't like to count my chickens before they hatch. I didn't know if I would be getting a medal today or not. Expectations lead to disappointment, so I can just do my best all of the time and hope that it turns out well.

Brons medal recipients are called up first. It was a little confusing what order they were called in. I heard the names of people who danced after me. Then, I heard the names of people who danced before me. I was giving myself a pep talk that it would be ok if I hadn't passed. Afterall, I had a fabulous time, and I've been telling everyone I was here to have fun. I clearly had fun.

Then they called my name. There is no way to express in words how happy and relieved I was! I got a big hug from Bengt Wittgren when he handed me my medal and another one from P-O when he gave me my certificate. I made it back off the floor before looking at my diplom.

Let me explain. They put adjectives on the certificates. The adjectives describe how you danced and there is a lot of value placed on what words are written there. They range from 'good' to 'exciting'. I got musikalisk och följsamt - musical and following (women tend to get that, it's a compliment). I am very happy with my adjectives. My medal is safe with Tom and my certificate is safe with Elaine.

I said a teary goodbye at the train station. I grabbed a seat and thought of how much fun I'd had, how I'd miss everyone, and what an adventure I was setting out on. I looked through all of the pictures on my camera. I cried as I headed to Norway, facing Sweden, with a heavy heart. I'll miss you, and see you soon. The train to Bodø is waiting for me now. I'll be up north in the morning!

Update: If you squint really hard, you can see me leaving the floor, clutching my diplom in the picture!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go sister! Loves loves loves.

Anonymous said...

I knew you'd pass!

Unknown said...

We are so proud of you! Thanks for making us teachers look so good, although all the hard work was on your part.

You'll make a whole buncha' new friends in Norge, and you know you'll see your Swedish ones again. It's a win-win situation, even if you're feeling a loss right now.

Thanks for the fun blog. We're enjoying living mycket vicariously!

Jerry and Judy

Ingrid said...

Ok, so you can't see me in the photo... I'll work on that later.

Anonymous said...

I'M SO PROUD OF YOU. CHEK YOUR E MAIL. I HIGHLIGHTED YOU IN THE PHOTO. LOVE DAD

Unknown said...

Gratulere! I'm enjoying your blog....keep it coming.