Sunday, August 17, 2008

Trysil IV

August 17, 2008

Today is my last day of vacation. I could have gotten up and gone to church to hear Else and her mother play, but I just didn't have the drive. I didn't get out of bed until close to eleven and was just finishing breakfast when Liv Marit and Oddmund came back. They weren't home for more than ten minutes before we took off to Solbekken, the local open air museum which is one of the oldest in Norway.

All of the buildings were open and there were demonstrations in almost all corners of the museum. Else was scheduled to play the whole day. Peder and I danced a couple of dances. Oddmund drove back to the house to get my fiddle so I could play some with Else, and returned with my fiddle and Geir. Else and I managed to find some tunes we both knew well enough to play for an audience of a couple hundred people who were not really listening, so we had a good time.

During the closing program, it was again the Myhr family who stole the show. Else played while Peder and Geir (the other brother) danced the ox dance and a halling. They did a great job. Especially if you consider that they were dancing on grass, barefoot, and the lady holding the hat had never done it before. Add to that, the hat they were offered was a ten pound cowboy hat and the stick curved upwards. It was basically impossible for them to have successfully kicked that hat off the stick.

While the closing gifts continued to be exchanged, I got to try some traditional Trysil food. Let me highlight rømmesoll - Norwegian style sour cream (rømme) with fresh curds and sugar. Delicious. Also, a local type of lefse that was pretty darn tasty with just butter (but, really, what isn't?).

1 comment:

DAVID said...

SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAD A FULL LAST DAY OF FUN EVEN WITH A LATE START.

TALK SOON LUV DAD