Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Farvel til Nord-Norge

August 12, 2008

After breakfast, I packed my bags again, so they would be ready in the afternoon. Before the day was over we had accomplished more than just a large pile of freshly split logs and packed suitcases, however. Anne made skoleboller to go with coffee while splitting logs. I was completely impressed. I played some more fiddle music in the beautiful afternoon weather. After coffee, Johan started pulling off one of the walls of the stabbur - it's next on the repair list.

Since the bus into town left the bus stop a half hour drive away at 6:30, we had to get started on dinner pretty much immediately after afternoon coffee. We headed to the store and bought some additional kjøttkaker, as well as tomatost! Dinner was kjøttkaker with brown sauce, ertestuing, carrots and new potatoes - typical Norwegian food. While Anne made dinner, I made sandwiches to take on my journey. We listened to the Jonssonslinje CD I gave them; It made me think of home.

It was hard to leave Steinviknesset, but I made it in the car. Anne is a fabulous conversationalist and she managed to keep my mind on all of the exciting things that are coming in my future and didn't let me dwell on how much I would miss her and Johan and how much I already miss all of you in Seattle. At least Sonya's coming soon!

The bus ride took almost no time. There was a little excitement when the bus driver started to drive off before I had gotten my suitcase out of the bus, but he only got a few meters. At the Bodø train station I talked to my dad and Tom on the payphone, before I made my way out of the smelly waiting area and onto the uncomfortable train. I did manage to sleep, but I'm sure glad I'm not taking any exams today. I woke up outside of Trondheim, uncertain if I was more excited to get off the train or onto the internet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My goodness you've written a lot since the last time I checked! Life sounds pretty good there with all those lovely people.

I am coming soon! And I haven't planned my trip! Oh lordy. Here I come! Less than two weeks! Can't believe it! Excited for seeing your new pad. <3 -s

Unknown said...

Sonya, take me with you!! I can fit in a duffel bag, I promise.

You're having quite an adventure, Ingrid. Thanks for the good writing and great descriptions. It's almost like we're there with you. Well, almost. We miss you!

Judy