Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Bodø II

August 8, 2008

I should start at the beginning of the day. I did not pack after watching the movie (it was 1am). Instead, I got up at eight and started packing. Only two more times! I had breakfast with Roald and Oddhild and then we headed back to the boat. It was a very nice trip.

The boat (Hurtigbåten) arrived in Bodø a few minutes late at noon. I found my way to Anne's office and after a few joyful minutes of catching up, I left her with my bags to finish her work day. I headed out in search of wireless internet. I found it at Kafe Kafka. I managed to justify spending $25 on a greek salad by spending most of three hours sitting at a table using the internet.

Shortly after 3pm, I met Anne at her office again and we met Johan at the car. They work in adjacent buildings and carpool to work together. It's a pretty sweet set-up. We stopped at the grocery store on the way home. In Sweden, you can buy a six-pack of decent light beer for $7. In Norway, a single can of the cheapest beer costs just under $4. At least they're half liters!

Anne had decided to make bread. So, while she made dinner (I washed the potatoes), she also put together the dough. We all clean forgot about it while we ate and it rose out of the bowl and onto the counter. It was hilarious. The second and third times it rose it just barely made it out of the bowl and certainly didn't make it down the outsides. The next excitement came when we all fell asleep while the bread was in the oven and no one could remember exactly when it had gone in. The timer had been set but not started. Fortunately, I had taken a picture of the loaves when they were just put in the oven so we could use the time stamp on the camera to figure out that mystery. The result? Good laughs and amazing whole grain bread. So. Delicious.

No comments: