Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Transition

August 17-18, 2008

That evening, it was Peder's turn to head to school. He packed and cleared out his room. I packed my things and prepared for my 4am wake-up and 5am bus departure the next morning. We had dinner as a family. I stayed up way too late watching one more movie before going to bed. I didn't really want to leave.

I was so nervous that I would oversleep, that I woke up before the alarm. I was just about ready when Oddmund came to check on me. I grabbed an apple and headed out the door with all of my luggage. The bus was waiting for me and I climbed on board.

Three and a half hours later, I got off in Oslo. I got a sandwich and the ticket to Åmot. Confusingly, the displays listed two bus number 180's, one going through Vinje and one that didn't. The one going through Vinje never arrived, so just before the other one took off, I asked the driver if there was another bus coming. Nope! He was the only one. I'm sure glad I asked.

Four more hours on the bus, plus a little extra for some new asphalt (I took that as a good omen), we pulled in Åmot. The drivers change buses there and get a little break, so it's hard to miss your stop if that's where you're supposed to get off. One last short trip in a minibus up the mountain and I had arrived at Raulands Akademiet.

I checked in and got my key from the super helpful Anne Margit. She has been helping me via email for months now, so it was nice to meet her in person. She introduced me to the vaktmester (janitor just doesn't quite cover it) for the school and the student housing. He drove me up the hill, carried my bag, and showed me my room. It was then that I met Birgit.

No comments: